I thought I’d write a short post about what, after near enough a year, I have found I can’t really live without.
So here they are – the FIVE things that I will not leave for university without.
- diary / calendar – because well, how else are you meant to keep track of the HUNDREDS of things you have to do in a day?
- good headphones – these have two uses: 1. put on whatever gets you in the mood to be the most productive 2. if you don’t want to listen to anything, put these in and you’ll have blocked out any background noise.
- a meeting book – you’ll probably have more than one meeting a day and meetings tend to follow on from each other so by having a dedicated book you can have a record of each meeting you attend in one easy to find place.
- organisational stationary – plastic wallets, folders, post-its, paperclips, stapler/staples. You’ll always need them so just don’t take them out of your bag.
- a decent water bottle – keep hydrated people! I tend to spend a lot of times in labs where drinking/eating is a major no no, but when I’m back in the office it’s always good to find a bottle of water in my bag. Staying hydrated helps with your focus and to relieve headaches.
There you have it, the 5 things I think every PhD student should have.