Hello Hello Hello!
This is the first post of 2017 and it’s coming to you all the way from Madrid!
I’ve been out here for two weeks for work/training and so far it has amazing. The city is so vibrant and lively. The architecture is INCREDIBLY beautiful and the people are lovely. You can wander the streets of Madrid for hours on end and not get bored. Even if you get lost there’s no need to worry because all you need to do is find one of the many Metro stations dotted around and you’re all set again. As amazing as it’s been, it has definitely been a little bit of an adjustment work wise. Moving to a new country, getting used to a new atmosphere, culture and language will take a little time but I’m looking forward to the rest of the experience :).
In the two weeks I’ve been here this is what I’ve noticed:
- The general environment (not just at work I suppose) is waaayyyyy more chilled than in the UK.
- You WILL have MANY coffee breaks.
- Lunch is generally at like 3/4pm, which means it’s not unusual for dinner/supper/your evening meal to be around 9.30pm.
- Travel is pretty cheap (20 Euros for a thirty day travel card!)
- Even if your Spanish is awful (which mine is) people really do appreciate it when you try.
- There are a crazy amount of Pharmacies, I don’t know why, but I’m pretty sure I counted around 6 on one street.
- THE COFFEE IS AMAZING.
- Madrid is a city of hidden gems, and I love just walking around (somewhat aimlessly) and stumbling upon cute little streets/areas.
I’m so excited to spend the next couple of months here and explore the city and culture more so, if anyone has any tips or recommendations on where to visit let me know!